- 60 – 120 minutes; optimum is 75 – 90; A 15 minute Q & A can be included
- Suitable for ALL staff – teachers, leaders, support staff, administrators – working with/for students aged 3-19 in mainstream, special ed, and alternative provision
- No limit to numbers (his biggest audiences so far were 4000 delegates at the Visible Learning Conference in San Francisco and Chicago and 2600 leaders at the Swedish skolriksdag).
- ONLINE or ONSITE
- James Nottingham’s keynote speeches inspire, encourage, and challenge. He weaves compelling narratives, gentle good humour, and expert recommendations that will stay with you long after the event is over
What you’ll get from our team
Evidence, insight, encouragement, & practicality
Examples & advice that connect directly to your whole team (EY & support staff will never feel like an afterthought again)
Arresting anecdotes & good humour to keep all staff engaged all day (edutainment WITH substance)
A presentation meticulously designed for your context with enough flexibility to adapt on the day (no rigid plans here)
When booking James Nottingham, you will also get a stage presence and credibility that makes him one of the most sought-after presenters in the education world
- Half day (up to 3 hours of presenting), full day (up to 5.5 hours of presenting), or twilight (1.5 – 2 hours of presenting)
- Can be commissioned as one-off events or booked as a series to allow for action learning and online Q&A in between
- Frequent turn-and-talk opportunities are built into every design. Staff are encouraged to question and challenge, with our consultant adjusting their presentation in response (no scripts here!) Participants always remark on how focused they were throughout the whole session, so adept are our team at creating the optimum focus and pace
- ONLINE or ONSITE
- Give any of our consultants, including James, any class, any age (3+) and they will demonstrate how to get your students into – and out of – the Learning Pit
- All observers will witness the questioning strategies, thinking moves, problem-solving techniques, and growth mindset approaches we recommend
- Each demo should be preceded by a 15mins preview and followed up straight away or during an after-school event to which all staff are invited. You may also record the demo lessons for within-school use if you wish
We design professional learning that is matched as closely as possible to context and aims. We do NOT offer pre-determined, externally imposed programs.
Our most popular topics include:
- Classroom talk / dialogic teaching
- Efficacy (self & collective)
- Feedback & assessment
- Growth mindset
- Philosophy for Children (P4C)
- The Learning Pit
When you invite us to work with your team, we will send you a full description of our areas of expertise so that you can highlight the terms that are most relevant to your professional learning aims. From your notes, we will design an early draft of the ways in which can support you. Following that, we will finesse the messages (together with you) to match the outcomes as sensitively and accurately as possible to your setting.
Discover more about our areas of expertise here
“James Nottingham has developed a rare skill for blending arresting anecdotes, hard-edged research and practical advice into a truly compelling narrative.”
Professor BARRY HYMER
“Extraordinary day with James Nottingham! He kept ALL staff from early years to sixth form (working with 3-19-year-olds) engaged all day. He is the only presenter ever to manage this. Simply stunning.”
“James Nottingham håller nästan Zlatanklass!!”
“By far the highlight of the AVL conference was James Nottingham. Both the keynote and break out were beyond inspiring!”
“Every school needs a James Nottingham. He’s given me so many ideas & inspiration to take my teaching to the next level!”
“Every time I meet James, he makes me think deeper about learning and teaching. What a great job he did yesterday evening in The Hague!”
Consultant, Author, Keynote Speaker
This site represents two tradenames:
THE LEARNING PIT®
This trademark is held by James Nottingham (reg. No. 6.381.157) Uses of the Learning Pit for educational and not-for-profit purposes are usually permitted when seeking permission via this site.
This is the name of the group of companies founded by James Nottingham (full details shown on the Contact Us page). It is also the name of his first book.