“As someone whose teaching was fundamentally transformed by the Learning Pit, I was hugely impressed by this new book. As well as being an effective manual on techniques backed up with the pedagogical theory that supports them, it also includes a huge number of activities linked to core texts from the curriculum. A well-researched piece carefully constructed to be practical, informative and instantly applicable.”
Barry Dunn, Head of Beliefs and Values, Seaham High School, England
What makes this book different?
This book provides teachers with everything they need to run thoughtful, dialogue-driven challenges so that students engage more deeply with the classics and develop literary skills critical to English Language Arts. Students will analyse texts within lessons grounded in cognitive conflict that cause them to think more deeply, critically, and strategically.
- Photocopiable masters that act as frames to support each lesson activity
- Guidance at the bottom of each photocopiable sheet for how to scale each item to fit the resource cards
- Imaginative and rigorous ways to help students understand literary devices such as foreshadowing, characterisation, symbolism, rhetoric, personification, theme/motif, author intent, point of view, and imagery.
- Learning Pit tools to help students understand key literary concepts such as choice, conflict, dreams, intent, patriotism, responsibility, symbolism, and hero/villains
- Diagrams to help illustrate relationships between concepts for students
Suitable for teachers, leaders and support staff working with students studying English Language Arts (English Literature) in secondary/high schools and colleges.